Popular Posts

Friday, July 22, 2011

Suspense captures me

Today I am going to focus on something I really love and enjoy reading. That is I love reading Suspense and detective novels. It is since childhood I am so attached to Satyajit Ray's Feluda series, as I own the entire collection. After sometime my father got me the volumes of Byomkesh Bakshi by Saradindu Bandopadhyay....and although these books have gathered the yellowish traces of TIME, yet they are so my favorite. Not only that, I loved Enid Blyton's Famous Five, Pandav Goenda (Bengali version of Famous Five) too. 


 But these are all I cherished in childhood (although I flick them whenever I get time), later in High School I came across the series of Agatha Christie and Sherlock Holmes in our school library.


Agatha Christie series is simply brilliant.....You know, the stories start with a very dull and boring elaboration of the characters and the various incidents of their lives, but all of a sudden they take an interesting turn and captures the reader's attention, one just wouldn't give it up until the curtain is down. Towards Zero, Cat Among the Pigeons, Sad Cypress, And then there were none...are simply marvelous. Her main detectives, Hercule Poirot, a weird looking Belgian fellow and Miss Marple , an old English lady living very ordinarily with an extraordinary insight for trivial details around and with immense brilliance to relate them to solve a case, are so brilliantly portrayed.
Despite there are stories which are without these two characters... as i said TOWARDS ZERO, is a finely written and a spine chilling elaboration of a murder mystery. 


I enjoyed Sherlock Holmes too, but the s cases seem to be too much following Theory of Deduction rather than Evidential. The solution of the cases were more based on assumption rather than concrete evidences.
Although Sir Doyale did make the Character of Holmes as an immortal stalwart of Crime Investigation and as you might me knowing 22B, Baker Street, London (resident of Sherlock Holmes), is a famous tourist spot. I personally, find Sherlock Holmes with his friend Dr. Watson bore much similarities with our very own Byomkesh and Ajit. Anyways, as I was saying.... Cases of Sherlock Holmes were much based Theory of Deduction.... Although HOUND OF BASKERVILLES earned a great name and inspired movies adaptation too.. but my favorite of Sherlock Holmes were Silver Blaze, The Adventures of Speckled Band, Blue Curbancle... 


But since Sir Conan Doyale depicted the classic way of the then England and the livelihood of the English men and women and even the language was much of classic style and hence contained the usage of old thesaurus.  Consequently it becomes a less comprehensible to the modern genre... where as Christie seemed to be more easy and in with the modern times.


One author's work I am yet to go through that is Edgar Allan Poe... I havenot read any by him.


Much later although Sidney Sheldon also captured a lot of interest... although we can not call his work to be Investigative, but it had all the thrills, passion, deception and those what make his work a complete package. 
The Other Side of Midnight, Bloodline, Rage of Angels, Doomsday Conspiracy, Morning Noon Night and to name many... are all brilliantly penned.


Finally the one author I truly enjoyed reading was William Diehl .... his famous work is PRIMAL FEAR...having the movie adaptation of same name starring Richard Gere and Edward Norton. It is a psychological thriller... I recommend this book to all.


Although I also like reading other kinds like Romance,Adventure... but to me nothing can beat Suspense and Thrills.


Well, as I have come to end the journey of this piece, I wished to say to all.... books are man's best friend and talk to you, relate to you just as the way you want them to... So guys read as much as you can... this is something you need not care about the limits.....


Thanks for today


Have a great Day!!!

1 comment:

Maitreyee Das said...

Thanks for the piece of Info! Got to know so many writers!....I know some of them and have read them too.....

Well even I like detective novels and I guess every Bengali's favorite is Feluda! And I too believe that books are the best friends which can never betray or hurt you!